|Outside the Cube|
Computer Hardware (4)
Dating Scams (6327)
Male Dating Scammers (53051)
Microsoft Scammers (212209)
Other Scams (424439)
Spammer Businesses (848883)
About this site
Links to us
General :: Outside the Cube :: Other Scams
These articles and comments may save you from emotional pain and financial drain.
This list is sorted by recent document popularity (not total page views).
New documents will first appear at the bottom.
Generated 4:01:01 on Sep 20, 2020
A reader emailed me that a person tried to scam him. The reader had offered a room for rent. Someone emailed him, stating to come from the UK.
I don't know the exact offer, but scammers on Craigs List work like this:
- You want to rent the room for $500/month
- They offer to pay $1200 (first + last month, plus $200 overpayment)
- You will get the $1200 per Fedex or UPS, as a cashier's check or money order
- Then they ask you to send the $200 to a friend whom they owe the money. You are supposed to send the money to that friend with Western Union or Moneygram
- You use your own $200 for this
- Your $1200 check bounces (it was FAKE!)
You just lost $200.
And your bank is angry at you for depositing a fake check.
The smallest problem would be a $30 fine for depositing a "bounced" check. Worst scenario: you get arrested for this.
There is a slim chance that the person is real, but if he offered to send money upfront, I bet it's a scammer.
|Most recent comments